Shallow NLP: processing with minimal understanding of context.
- Spatial: "find the nearest X."
- Temporal: "meet at lunch time."
other implied contexts like "took it home" can mean a prize (because other references to taking a prize home exist)
mixtures of when to generalize or be specific. may have to infer "Taking the prize home" meaning 'prize' is an 'it' which means this response *could* answer "take 'it' home"
A question is a query to Watson.
A question goes through a set of steps.
- Feature extraction
- Generate hypotheses: find responses in a corpus with a suspected match
- Reasoning election: library of "reasoning algorithms" scores each hypothesis to the question
- Gradient boosting: scores adjusted based on their historic accuracy during training